The History of Holmesdale Masonic Lodge
Holmesdale is proud of its history being the oldest Freemasons’ Lodge in Tunbridge Wells and one of the oldest Lodges in Kent. Our lodge was consecrated in 1862 when Queen Victoria was on the throne, Viscount Palmerston was Prime Minister and the American Civil War was raging.
Holmesdale Lodge is named after Viscount Holmesdale, a then prominent Kent landowner and businessman, who served as the Provincial Grand Master of Kent. On its formation the Lodge successfully attracted many local professional men and business owners.
The Lodge originally met at the Castle Hotel near the High Street in Tunbridge Wells, before moving to another hostelry, The Sussex Inn, finally settling in The Pump House at the end of the Pantiles where it remained meeting for nearly 100-years. In 1967 the lodge moved once more to the purpose-built Masonic Hall in St. Johns Road, Tunbridge Wells where it has remained ever since.
There are many historical artifacts displayed at the Masonic Hall, which chart the history of the lodge.
If you would like to find out more about the history of Holmesdale Lodge please contact us.
To find out more about the history of Freemasonry in general please visit: